Monday, January 13, 2014

New dish concept

Hi.
    About a week ago, I opened a large can of plum tomatoes. I only used a small portion and have had the remainder sitting in the refrigerator. I would usually just turn them into a sauce and use it over pasta. Since I'm trying to eat healthier these days, my plan was to make a new dish that could be served without the pasta.
    I wanted to use it with some kind of a protein, so the standard go to for me is chicken. In the past, I have used the tomatoes as a braising or stewing liquid, with great results, so I'll go with that again. I'm sure that not everyone will like this concept because of the anchovies, all you have to do is leave them out if they are not to your liking.
    I haven't made this dish yet, but this is how it's probably going to go.

   1 Chicken (skin removed and cut into about 12 pieces )
    olive oil
    1/4 cup Pancetta chopped
    1- 2 oz. can anchovies with oil
    1 small yellow onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
    4-6 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
    Canned plum tomatoes with juice just coarsely broken up by hand
    1 cup red wine
    1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved
    2 tablespoons capers
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    S + P to taste

    Brown the chicken pieces in about 2 Tbs. olive oil and set aside.In whats left of the oil, start browning the Pancetta. When it's almost crisp add the anchovies and mash thoroughly with a fork. After a minute add the onion, cook for a minute and add the garlic. After another minute, add the tomatoes and red wine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 min. Add the chicken pieces and simmer about  25 min.. Add the olives and capers and simmer another 5 min.. Finish with the parsley just before serving.
    Now, what to serve this dish with. Of course pasta is certainly an option, but, here are some ideas to use as alternatives. Risotto, plain rice, polenta, potatoes, beans, such as canelinni, navy, great northern white, are all possibilities to use as a starch, or maybe pureed cauliflour and a side of greens. It just seems like you'll want something to sop up the sauce. So, I leave it up to you.

      Buon Appetito, CIAO for now Garlichut

No comments:

Post a Comment