Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Leftover pizza topping pasta

   I had a few people over for pizza Sunday. The leftover toppings provided the flavorings for this impromptu pasta dish. What I had in the fridge was cooked spinach, mushrooms, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, slices of artichoke heart, sliced onion, and some shredded mozzarella.
   I kind of knew that this stuff alone might not be enough flavor so I added leeks and for my own tastes some fresh frozen hot pepper.
   I started by sauteing the hot pepper and leek till tender. then I added onion, spinach, mushroom, artichoke, roasted garlic, and roasted pepper.
   Then I boiled some penne pasta till just tender. Then all the ingredients were tossed in a large bowl to combine. I added some of the shredded mozzarella, some grated romano cheese, a little olive oil, salt and pepper and tossed some more, It all went into a glass baking dish, was topped with some more mozzarella and romano. Then I popped it into a 350  oven for 15 min. to heat through and melt the cheese.
   It was very enjoyable. A slight variation would be to just add a little tomato sauce or whatever might be lurking about.
   It's fun to just put whats available together and see what you come up with.

   Ciao for now, Garlichut

No comments:

Post a Comment