Saturday, March 3, 2012

New flavor search

Hello Foodies,
   During this past week,  I was having trouble getting into my freezer, because it was so stuffed. So I took a good look and realized I had two containers of tomato sauce and three containers of chicken stock taking up most of the space. The solution: use something up. Easiest way, make some risotto and get rid of one of the containers of stock. So, yesterday, on my way home, I stopped at the market and stood in the vegetable isle trying to figure out what to put in my risotto. Mushrooms were sounding good, but what to combine with them. I've kind of done mushroom spinach to death, so I wanted something else. I stood there looking and looking, but nothing was hitting me. Then I thought about things I had at home that I might use. Then it hit me. Pancetta, mushrooms, parsley, and fresh basil was the flavor of the day. With a plan in mind and my mushrooms in the bag, I was on my way.
  
   1/4 cup olive oil
   1/4 cup diced pancetta
   8 oz, cremini mushrooms
   1 small onion diced
   1 cup arborio rice
   3 cloves garlic minced
   1 cup white wine
   3 cups simmering chicken stock (approx.)
   1 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
   1/4 cup chopped parsley
   2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil

   In your favorite risotto pan, heat 3 Tbs. olive oil. Add onion and rice and heat through till the edges of the kernels of rice begin to turn slightly translucent. (about 3-4-min.) Add the wine and stir frequently. Keep cooking till almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Then add a ladle full of stock and stir occasionally till it also has been absorbed. In the mean time in a separate saute pan, in the remaining oil, heat the pancetta and cook till golden brown. (just like bacon) Then add the mushrooms and cook till the mushrooms have softened. (You might need a little more olive oil if the mushrooms seem too dry) Finish adding stock to the risotto a ladle full at a time till the rice is cooked through, but kernels are still a little firm. Usually this takes about 30-35 min.. Add the pancetta and mushrooms and heat through. Remove from heat and remaining ingredients . Stir well and serve.
   The result was a great dish of risotto.
   Try it and enjoy.
   I had a little Montepulciano D'abruzzo to go with it. Delightful!!!

     Ciao for now,  Garlichut

No comments:

Post a Comment