Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why Sirloin?

Why sirloin?
     I chose sirloin steak for Sundays meal for several reasons. The primary reason, of course, is the flavor. It just seems to have a lot more flavor than, say, tenderloin, New York, T-bone. That might just be my preference, but because I was able to get the sirloin for only $2.72 per #, there is certainly a little more incentive to explore it's possibilities.
     I bought a whole sirloin from Sam's club. Then, I took some time to break the whole piece of meat down into single muscle sections, which I then trimmed of all silver skin and fat  and gristle. At that point you have the option of cutting any size steaks you want. I cut very thick steaks, almost what would be called a baseball cut. The reason for that is that it's easier to cook a thick cut of meat to rare or medium rare, than a thinner piece of meat. Next, to avoid toughening the meat by charring the outside too much, I grill the meat over very high heat only enough to get the outside browned. Then, I finish the steaks in the oven. 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes. The result is a very tender and flavorful steak, from what otherwise might be considered a secondary cut of meat.
     Now, since not everyone has the time or skill to butcher their own steak, when you buy sirloin, buy a sirloin roast as opposed to thinner sirloin steaks. Then you can cut the roast into large individual pieces and cook the same way. Give it a try. I hope you enjoy the results.
     Ciao for now,   Garlichut

No comments:

Post a Comment